What is Hydro Laos Simulation?
The ability to understand and engage with complex stakeholders, internally and externally, has become a critical management capability.
The Hydro Laos simulation improves the prospects for business success by providing an experience of managing relationships and winning support for a sensitive environmental project in the safety of a simulated environment. Navigating the corporate, political and social issues successfully requires understanding the key issues and understanding the players and their relationships.
Developed with intercultural expert, Maarten Nijhoff Asser, the simulation also provides participants witht the opportunity to build an undestanding of the key dimensions which drive cultural differences.
Hydro Laos Key Learning Outcomes
- BALANCING the economy and financial impact with the need for stakeholders buy-in;
- PROFILING and prioritizing stakeholders;
- DEVELOPING, using and adapting a communication strategy to gather and disseminate information;
- UNDERSTANDING the rage of rational and non-rational factors that determine each person’s attitude;
- UNDERSTANDING THE IMPACT culture has on individual behavior;
- UNDERSTANDING THE DIFFERENT GOALS of range of external stakeholders and interest groups, and where to create coalitions; and
- USING THE INFLUENCE NETWORK to build support.
Simulation in Practice
The simulation is set in the context of building a hydroelectric power, requiring the construction of one or more dams, with the resulting human, environmental and cultural consequences. Participants assume the role of the manager responsible for refining the project plan to minimize the risks of implementation, taking into account the views of numerous external stakeholders. These parties include environmental organizations., political bodies and community groups, archaeologists, contractor, customers and shareholders.