What is Professional Manager?
Research and experience have shown that a manager’s success and ability to contribute to an organization depend on effectively working with superiors and peers as much as effectively leading and managing subordinates.
The objective of Professional Manager is to increase the effectiveness of the management team and individual managerial abilities. As part of the management group, participants will identify key organizational issues and actions, develop shared understandings and experiences, and strengthen their organizational network.
On an individual level, participants will strengthen their ability to use their professional management practices, develop personal action plans to incorporate these practices into their roles as managers, and increase their overall effective power and influence in the organization.
What You Will Leave With
- Clarity about the management role and the operating principles of effective managers.
- Understanding of the key behaviors that characterize the following operating principles in a business environment:
- Individual Contributor:
- Team Contributor
- Plans for increasing your effectiveness as a professional manager.
- Strengthened working relationships with other managers from your organization.
- Individual Contributor:
What You Will Experience During the 2-½ Day Workshop:
- Establishing the context for the course
- Setting the pattern for working together
- UNDERSTANDING THE ORGANIZATION
- Establishing the role of power and influence in organizational performance
- A shared understanding of the effective use of power in organizations
- UNDERSTANDING INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTION
- The framework for understanding individual contribution to the effectiveness of organizational performance
- Concepts and behaviors underlying the three individual contribution principles
- Feedback on six behavioral practices associated with each of the principles
- UNDERSTANDING TEAM CONTRIBUTION
- Key principles and behaviors that contribute to the effectiveness of the management team.
- Feedback on six behavioral practices associated with each of the principles.
- ACTION PLANNING
- Individual Action Planning in which participants develop plans for the application of behaviors
- Group work to help ensure that participants will effectively apply principles and behaviors in their workplace.
36 questions regarding managerial practices
Key Feedback Features:
Subordinate’s perception on participant’s managerial practice, based on individual contributor and team contributor:
- Individual Contributor – openness, trust, quality
- Team Contributor – teamwork, partnering, contention
- Average rating
- Rating by each practice
- Weak areas with action steps
A developmental analysis – no absolute rating
Clarity about management role and the operating principles of effective managers
Understanding of the key behaviors that characterize key operating principles in business environment
Plans for increasing participant’s effectiveness as a professional manager
Strengthened working relationships with other managers within the same organization